Common Questions About Transferring from NWACC | NorthWest Arkansas Community College

Main Content Start

Common Questions

If I transfer to a university from NWACC, do I
have to provide a high school transcript with GPA and ACT scores?

Typically, if you are transferring from NWACC with 24 or more college credits, you are no longer considered a freshman transfer. This means that your admission is solely based upon your performance at NWACC. Because of this, you are not required to submit your high school transcript. Your classification is determined by the number of college credits you've earned and by your qualifying cumulative gpa (usually a 2.0). The case may be different if you are going to a private university or an institution in another state. Although you may gain full admission to the university, you may be required to have an even higher GPA for a specialized program, such as education or allied health professions.

Is it a problem if I am still undecided about my major after having completed my two-year degree?

To make sufficient progress toward the completion of a four-year degree in a timely manner, it is in your best interest to have determined your major by the time you transfer.

There are NWACC services available to help you research possible majors that will lead to your future employment goals. Career Services is one such resource, and your academic advisor is another one. In the long run, it is more likely that students who declare their major before leaving NWACC have greater success in earning their bachelor's degree. The major exploration process is not always easy. Do what you can early on to maximize coursework before transferring.

How do I determine whether the classes I take at NWACC will transfer?

You can determine whether or not a number of courses transfer by accessing the Arkansas Course Transfer System (ACTS), in addition to referencing online course equivalency guides at schools you are considering. Some of the most common out-of-state schools that NWACC students transfer to also offer online equivalency guides. Since NWACC is regionally accredited, a good number of courses are accepted throughout Arkansas and other states; however, ensuring the completed courses count toward graduation for your bachelor's degree requires ongoing conversations with your academic advisor. 

In addition to academic advisors at your eventual transfer institution. Be proactive! REMEMBER: Part of anticipating the day you transfer requires meeting with your advisor, exploring majors if you are undecided, attending NWACC transfer workshops and transfer recruitment programs at the university of your choice, and accessing articulation agreements, majors sheets, academic catalogs and institution web sites for planning.

How long will it take for me to finish my bachelor's degree after I transfer?

The time it takes to finish your four-year degree largely depends on your course placement upon entrance to NWACC, and also on how many credit hours you complete toward your two-year degree at NWACC. Ideally, you can finish your associate's degree at NWACC and then finish your junior and senior courses in your major at the receiving institution in four years if you are able to go full-time, taking twelve to fifteen hours each semester (including some summer hours). With at least two exceptions, including architecture and engineering, earning a four-year degree in Arkansas requires 120 hours.

Is it a problem to have multiple withdrawals ("W"s) on my transcript when attempting to transfer?

It is the case that some selective majors and graduate programs consider multiple "W"s during a student's academic career when determining admission. Accumulating a substantial number of "W"s could be viewed as a potential problem without an appropriate explanation.

When applying for admission as a transfer student, am I required to submit all transcripts, including the ones documenting bad grades?

You must note all schools you've attended prior to your admission/enrollment at your transfer institution. You must also submit official transcripts from each institution.

What happens if I don't report all the previous schools I attended?

Omitting information about any previous school you have attended could be construed as academic fraud, and this could lead to the rescinding of admission, and/or even a degree.

Can I change my major after I transfer?

Any student can change their major after transferring; however, it's possible that the differences in course requirements between one major and another could add additional hours/time to the completion of your degree. In all cases, it is best to consult with an advisor before making this decision.

When do I apply to transfer?

Apply for admission to your transfer institution as early as possible during your final semester at NWACC.

I repeated a class, but my first attempt is still on my transcript and I don't know why.

Although NWACC students have the option of repeating a class for grade replacement, the original grade always remains part of their entire academic record. And, although the highest grade received will be used to calculate the cumulative grade point average at NWACC, in many cases the institution you seek admission to will take the average of the two grades, as opposed to ignoring the lowest grade in the class you repeated. Additionally, some four-year institutions/majors have a limit on how many times a course can be repeated, while others use the repeated course grade even if the first grade was higher when considering transfer of courses and GPA.

When is the deadline to apply for graduation at NWACC?

When possible, students should apply for graduation according to dates posted on the graduation application form. Doing so improves your chances of completing all requirements according to your goals and within a timely manner. Enrollment services will accept late applications, but always consult them to see if there is still time to complete their process before the graduation ceremony, especially if you are interested in walking. Be aware that you will not have your name in the program if you are late turning in your graduation application.

Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented is factual; however, errors may exist. Always countercheck facts when considering their use in other applications.